Restore a NIC from passthrough via CMD in ESXI
These days I'm trying ot set up a do-it-all server for the house. I have tried to configure the SFP+ NICs with direct access for VMs.
Now, I've had a side effect: The NIC was not available for the management network. As a result, I could no longer configure the VMs via the UI.
Restore NIC back
I performed the following steps to get my NIC back for management:
Enable the ESXi Shell
Switch to the ESXi shell (Alt + F1)
Check if the NIC is visible:
esxcli network vswitch standard list # list current vswitch configuration esxcli network vswitch dvs vmware list # list Distributed Switch configuration esxcli network ip interface list # list vmkernel interfaces and their configuration esxcli network nic list # display listing of physical adapters and their link state
My network cards were not visible at all
Edit the ESXI configuration:
cd /etc/vmware vi esx.conf
Locate the NIC entries. My entries were at the end of the file:
/device/00000:003:00.1/vmkname = "vmnic1" /device/00000:003:00.1/device = "..." /device/00000:003:00.1/vendor = "..." /device/00000:003:00.1/owner = "passthru"
/device/00000:003:00.1/vmkname = "vmnic1" /device/00000:003:00.1/device = "..." /device/00000:003:00.1/vendor = "..." /device/00000:003:00.1/owner = "vmkernel"
Reboot ESXi from the console
This is all.
- VMware ESXi 6.5 - ESXCLI Command Reference
- Configuring VMDirectPath I/O pass-through devices on a VMware ESX or VMware ESXi host (1010789)
- Configuring vSwitch or vNetwork Distributed Switch from the command line in ESXi/ESX (1008127)
- Enable Passthrough for a Network Device on a Host
- Giving access from a VM to a NIC directly
- Changing from passthrough to non-passthrough devices fails to take effect after a reboot (1022011)
- Configuration Examples and Troubleshooting for VMDirectPath
- Running a NIC card in Pass-Through mode
- esxcli command to add passthrough for pci device?