Ergodox – Day six – Switches are in
Well, it’s almost finished! I’ve decided to use mostly blues, with greens on things like space bar, enter (on the default layout anyway). The right hand is:
The full keyboard looks like this:
Apologies for the mess and the plate, but it was early in the day (01:00 AM) and I’ve been offered some walnut confiture 🙂 Who can say no to that?
Here’s a better shot (with more realistic colours):
Next steps are to fix up the layout and put in the key caps.
- Soldering with hot gun is totally doable. Almost everything on the board (including switches) are soldered with hot air.
- Spend more time soldering to make sure you don’t have dry/cold joints
- Get a multi-meter. One capable of checking diodes is extremely useful (particularly for the tiny diodes in the kit)
- Patience. Well, I was too excited and I sort-of run out of it when putting in the case, so I have now some dust specs between the layers.
- Have fun! Well ,that’s the whole point. Otherwise you can just buy one already made
A little experiment: If you find this post and ad below useful, please check the ad out 🙂